LEGO – A Lesson in Persistence

Last weekend, Lucy and I indulged in some LEGO awesome-ness.  At the time, the blades on my Rotorcycle (see what I did there?) swung freely, and as a result, they would frequently smack into each other.  I’ve been letting the problem stew all week, and this weekend I decided to try to fix the problem with some gears.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough of the right kind of gears to make it as simply as I wanted.  So I had to try something else.  In fact, I ended up going through at least 8 iterations before I found an arrangement that worked well enough to satisfy.  I thought about giving up ā€“ concluding that we just didn’t own enough of the right pieces to make this work ā€“ but I’m pleased to say that I stuck with it, and my persistence paid off.

I present you with the Rotorcycle v2:

10

The gears involved don’t mesh well at all, but when you turn the main gear and apply a little pressure to the smaller ones, the blades will turn.

20

I needed the blades to be offset from true vertical.  That placed the blades far enough apart to swing without interfering with each other, but kept the small gears close enough together that they could both still make contact with the main gear.  After I had the blades interlinked, I had to redesign how it gets mounted to the cycle itself. 

30

That gave me the opportunity to move the weapon hardpoints out away from the bike body, making it slightly more realistic.

I do realize, though, that when it comes to the "realism" spectrum, I’m still off the deep end here.

Advertisements