It’s official – everyone in the Gilbert household has officially crossed over into double-digits. With Lucy turning 10, we needed to do something ultra-geeky to celebrate. The “geekness” came in two major pieces this year, the first being the cake:
How many of these do you recognize? Clockwise from the top:
- The Golden Snitch from Harry Potter
- A Poké Ball from Pokémon
- The logo for DanTDM, a YouTuber that Lucy likes to watch
- A shield from C. S. Lewis’ “Narnia“
- A block of grass from Minecraft
- The name of the camp featured in the Percy Jackson universe (a book series by Rick Riordan)
- The TARDIS from Doctor Who
- Morningleaf from Jennifer Lynn Alvarez’s “The Guardian Herd“
- A rose from the anime series “RWBY“
- The One Ring from J. R. R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings“
CJ pieced these together from Lucy’s favorite fandoms, and submitted it to the bakery as a single image to the bakery, which they printed onto rice paper. The baker, though, decided to add a couple of flourishes in icing – the symbol for the Deathly Hallows at the very top, and the trident at the very bottom, coinciding with Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, respectively. We have an awesome baker.
The second piece of geekness came in the form of an RWBY-themed “roving” puzzle, where we left clues around the house for Lucy to follow. This was reminiscent of a mystery we set up for Katherine years ago (“Katherine and the Mystery of the Pet-Napped Pillow” https://markofquality.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/katherine-and-the-mystery-of-the-pet-napped-pillow/).
We left Lucy the first clue on the dinner table:
We borrowed her RWBY “chibi” figures to help out (Ruby Rose is pictured here), and along the way, Lucy got several new ones to add to her collection:
And there was much geeky-rejoicing.